Week 8 - Moving On Up

20/02/12 - Rest Day

21/02/12 - Free Run

This session was all about getting the duration in my legs, its been a while since I've done an hours run so I was keen to see how the legs would cope and as my half Ironman training its a good foundation. I know it can be quite boring running on the treadmill for one hour staring at the TV, but I don't mind it if I'm honest, I find a rhythm and I'm away.

The whole session was 8 minute mile pace, which I'm pretty happy about I felt great and the next steps are for 90 minutes on the treadmill. I know I should go running out on the road but I'm doing the training in the day in the gym at the moment.

Session Details
Duration 01 00 00
Distance 7.5 Miles
Max HR 192 BPM
Average HR 159 BPM

22/02/12 - Core Workout



I had time for a quick core workout before I put my son to bed, my core stability is definitely improving and I hopefully noticing the difference when I'm running.

Session Details

2 Reps

30 x knee to elbow sit up
10 x 1 leg press up (Each Site)
2 x 30 sit twists with raised legs
2 x 30 standing side dips
25 x V sit ups
30 sec side plank (each side)

23/02/12 - Spin Session


What a hard ride, this session is a killer I thought this hard session was tough over 45 minutes, well the next level is 60 minutes with a 10 minute time trial in the middle. My legs felt so heavy after this session but I know its helping me improve. If you fancy doing this session check out audio fuel and the Chrissie Wellington sets well worth £40 of anyone's money.

 I maxed out my heart heart at 179 beat per minute which is hight for the bike, that's a similar high that I get on some runs so it shows I'm working harder than I ever have before on the bike.

The Pyramid was:

5 min Warm Up
1 min HARD
1 min RECOVER
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVER
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
5 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
10 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
5 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
1 min HARD
5 min Warm Down

Session Details
Duration 01 00 00
Distance 20 Miles (estimated)

24/02/12 - Rest Day

25/02/12 - Long Run



This was my first long test run since my son was born, I knew I had done enough training to complete the distance in a decent time and I was feeling in a good shape. Decent time being 9 minute miles, and decent shape meaning no pains or niggles so I was keen to get out in the sun. I had the choice of 2 distances 11 miles or 13.5, and as the sun was out the longer option got the nod.

The route is a relatively flat run till the last mile where you hit the coastal path and this destroyed my mile pace but I was just happy to be close to the end.


I definitely found a rhythm for 10 miles and its felt great, its amazing that as soon as you go past a marker in  your head your body tends to feel the pain. I knew I should have stuck with the shorter route. I took my new GU gels to try out on the route and they went down well, not to thick, I'm planning on writing a review on I've still got a few more to try out for long runs.


This session I had a pretty low maximum heart rate of 176, and averaged out at 162, which is low for me in a run session, but I felt great for the first 10 miles and I could have pushed myself far harder, It wasn't a my race pace so only T3-T4. I think I will end up doing more of those types of runs when my Ironman plan kicks in.

Session Details
Duration 01 56 18
Distance 13.44 Miles
Average Pace 8.39 Min Mile
Max HR 176 BPM
Average HR 162 BPM

26/02/12 - Rest Day

Week 8 Totals
Cycling - 20.00 Miles
Running -  20.94 Miles
Swimming - 0 Meters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Lovely Lake Laps.. Hippo Like...