Week 5 - Keep On Building

30/01/12 - Interval Training
 
Back in the gym and back on the treadmill, and to blow the rest day blues away. Its the first time I've been back in the treadmill in some time so I was looking forward to a proper flat run so I could work on my foot landing technique. Its the first time I have run on a treadmill with my Newtons too, and it felt great, no knee pain, no hot feet, no distractions so I could just concentrate on the session. If your after a new pair of trainers Newtons are the ones to have a look at. I decided to copy the same intervals as I do on the Spin bike, as I could remember them and it was simple.

3 Warm Up
1 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
5 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
1 min HARD
3 Warm Down

I thought this session was hard on the bike, well the treadmill wins this battle, it was a killer session, a good one for the legs, but a hardcore one. My heart rate maxed at 183 beats per minute, I haven't seen it that high for some time which is great, it shows im working hard for long periods and im only going to get fitter. My heart rate averaged out 165 BPM.



Session Details
Duration 00 45 00
Distance 5 Miles
Max HR 183 BPM
Average HR 165 BPM

31/01/12 - Gym Spinning

Audiofuel and Chrissie Wellington had another battering and I completed the Ride Harder 1 again, its getting easier on my legs and im feeling the benefits of the spinning bike.I have Chrissie shouting in my ear "Feel The Burn" I can feel it alright, my legs were ready to explode. I was the same 45 minute ride (Ride Hard 1) and I really enjoyed it. I did forget to pack the Garmin HR monitor so I haven't got the stats to see how hard I worked, but I was soaking in sweat when I finished.



The Pyramid was:

Warm Up
1 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
5 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
4 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
3 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
2 min HARD
1 min RECOVERY
1 min HARD
Warm Down

Session Details
Duration 00 45 00
Distance 15 Miles (estimated)

01/02/12 - Core Work Out


This really hurt today, I think my core is still a little bit tender from my last core session as the gym ball sets really hurt. The session started with a 10 minute warm up on the cross trainer, I find it hard to get a rhythm on those machines, so I tend to just use my legs and keep my arms still. From the cross trainer I was off to the gym mats for a good core workout. I did this set last week and I enjoyed it just as much as I did last week. Its a challenging set and its hard enough to get you sweating. I starting to understand why it is important to have a store core for running and I hope it can help me progress to the next level of fitness.

Washboard stomach here I come!

Session Details

2 reps

10 x front ball roll press up
10 x 1 leg press up (each side)
2 x 30 sit twist cycle legs
2 x 30 standing side dips (each side)
25 x v sit up
30 sec side plank (each side on vibration plates)

02/02/12 - Rest Day


03/02/12 - Rest Day

04/03/12 - Rest Day

05/03/12 - Turbo Session


How else can you enjoy watch Wales in the first 6 nations game, sat in a pub watching the game, NO I was on the turbo trainer, working hard.

This was a simple session to peddle for a hour, high cadence and high speed, get the legs working for a full hour. I also was trying out my new bike shoes and peddle, I think they made me go faster too... Honest!

I really enjoyed the intensity of this session, I wanted to keep the average speed high as well as the cadence, and the aim was to keep it high for the full hour. I've been doing alot of spinning at the gym and this has definitely helped me progress with the bike.


Throughout the session I managed to get a maximum speed of 26.3 MPH, which I think was down to the Welsh opening try, but the average speed in the session was 19.9 MPH.

My heart rate took about 10 minutes to average at 130 BPM, which was high enough for the training zone and make it a quality session, the max HR was 157BPM. I was soaking wet after finishing the session so I knew I had worked hard for the hour.

For the full hour my average cadence was 75 RPM, which is high but it can go higher and this is the aim for the next hour turbo session.

Session Details
Duration 01 01 58
Distance 20.51 Miles
Max Speed 26.3 MPH
Average Speed 19.9 MPH
Max Cadence 99 RPM
Average Cadence 75 RPM
Max HR 157 BPM
Average HR 133 BPM

Week 5 Totals
Cycling - 35.51 Miles
Running -  5 Miles
Swimming - 0 Meters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Lovely Lake Laps.. Hippo Like...