Week 10 - Practise 70.3 Training Week... Sort Of?


05/03/12 - Rest Day

06/03/12 - Cycling (Spin Bike)

So this is what Ironman training feels like, well I cant say I'm surprised but it is definitely a new pain barrier that I haven't met before. This first session was to spend 2 hours in the saddle, and its been a while since last season and that was the last time I spend that time in the saddle. The session was a T3 ride with 5 x 10 intervals on T5 peddling.



I found it really hard getting into T5 for the 10 minute bursts, I think the highest I managed to get was T4.1, so when I come to do this session next time I know I have to work harder. My legs weren't hurting to much after the session, which can only be a good thing, but come the end of the week we'll see how I feel. I also need to concentrate on my recovery strategy, which includes refuelling, stretching and resting after the sessions.

Session Details
Duration 02 00 00
Distance 40 Miles

07/03/12 - Running (Treadmill)


I decided to complete the hour and a half run on the treadmill, I know that sounds boring but I'm quite happy doing it, as long as I can get a rhythm. The TV does enough to distract me so I don't feel the pain. I did my warm up and then started the session,

I wanted to set the treadmill for a zone T3 run and 8.20 minute mile pace. I managed to do this after the button got stuck on the speed setting on the treadmill, and in stead of just stepping on the sides I went with it, hence the heart rate spike at the start of the run, and it took me a few minutes to get the treadmill back down to the correct setup and speed.




As my 70.3 plan is around the corner, I want to make sure my legs are ready for the duration of most of the run sessions and it coped fine at T3, and as the training plan progresses the duration stays the same but the intensity gets hard up to T4.5 to T5. T3 is great as my heart rate averaged out at 146 beats per minute which is pretty low for a run for me but that's what the T3 marker is there for.

Session Details
Duration 01 30 01
Distance 10.75 Miles
Average Pace 8.20 Min Mile
Max HR 188 BPM
Average HR 146 BPM

08/03/12 - Rest Day

09/03/12 - Cycling (New Forest, Hampshire)


What  great day for a cycle, it was dry, but a chill in the air so you couldn't stop as you'd get cold, the sun made the odd appearance, but apart from that it was a fine day. I was at the in laws all weekend so I plotted a bike route as I don't know the area to well and I wanted to get a long bike ride in so I decided to do a loop of the new forest. The roads weren't too busy, so it was a great light traffic ride. I took 2 bottles of fluid, 1 water with a Zero tablet in it and a 1 of Lucozade sport. This was not enough, after 2 and a half hours I was empty, no drink, no food, I had money so I could have stopped by a carried on to get home.

It was a relatively flat ride which is good news, but I have been working hard on my cycling, so I didn't mind a climb or two. I did start to feel a tightness in my legs at the 2 hour marker, which forced me to get out the saddle to stretch out my legs, which destroyed my cadence tracking, and the Garmin told me on a number of times that I needed to peddle faster when I was free wheeling and stretching out.

I decided to use my GU gels in a structured manor, first gel at 60 minutes, then a gel every 45 minutes after and it seemed to work, I did run out but I think this strategy worked for me, I wasn't feeling the low energy levels, only from working hard on the bike, but if I plan to stay out longer on the bike I will need more gels going forward.


Over the 3 hours I was out on the bike I maxed my heart rate at 169 beats per minute which is high on the bike for me, and even the average was high for me at 141. I was tired that night so I had worked hard, and I was in need of a good meal and a good sleep. I managed a top speed of 41 MPH, watch out land speed record, this is possibly the fastest I've ever been on my bike!.



Session Details
Duration 03 13 51
Distance 50.76 miles
Calories 3153
Average HR 141 BPM
Max HR 169 BPM
Average Speed 15.7 MPH
Max Speed 41.5 MPH
Average Cadence 81 RPM
Max Cadence 127 RPM



10/03/12 - Rest Day


11/03/12 - Rest Day

Week 10 Totals
Cycling - 90.76 Miles
Running -  10.75 Miles
Swimming - 0 Meters

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Lovely Lake Laps.. Hippo Like...