Its soooo Hilly In Cornwall

Its 3 days into my holiday and its a great feeling knowing I don't have to go to work tomorrow. Today was spent visiting friends and eating barbecued food and home made deserts. It also included a 20 mile bike ride to Penzance.

I woke up about 7:30 this morning as I had planned to go out first thing, but bed was to comfortable so by the time I got up I had missed my window of opportunity. After breakfast we were straight out to visiting. We spend most of the day out and about so when we got home I was pumped and ready to peddle.

I did a little bit of research before I went out, a gentle map read to see where I would end up, I didn't investigated the elevation graph much, next time I will be checking, there was some monster hills on this ride, one after another!

Now the elevation graph doesn't look that bad but believe me these were some killers and it wasn't very flat anywhere. The arrow denotes one of the first "BIG" climbs and it also shows the point where I was over taken at the top of the hill by a double decker bus. The driver was very nice and gave me a wide birth on the corner as the turn got steeper and steeper, so thank you Cornwall transport services. He was probably thinking why the hell is that lads legs going around so quick!.



At the 10 mile marker I was thinking that I'm not sure if im on the right route? As my sighting pointers were no where to be seen, so I peddled harder until I saw my first noticeable thing from google maps, a church tower I knew I was going the right way. After that marker its a pretty good down hill section and I managed to over take 2 cars, I wasn't trying to but they were going so slow, I managed to get over 36 mph a fastest for me to date.

After the turn for home I managed to dig into my pocket and grab out the energy bar I had packed, I was given this at the triathlon last week in my goodie bag so I thought I'd try it out. It wasn't a bad tasting bar. easy to swallow and it definitely worked. A gob full of water after eating the bar helped me swallow it and back on concentrating on the road.

The bar was SIS red berry bar - I'll go get some more I think for the bike.

 
Go Bar (mini) Red Berry ingredients:


Grape juice, pineapple juice, red berry (25%) (raspberry, cranberry), maltodextrin (from maize), dates, rice & soya crisp (rice flour, soya protein isolate, oat flour, salt vegetable oil, lecithin), organic oats, soya protein isolate, emulsifier (soya lecithin), flavouring, humectant (calcium lactate).

Energy 583kj/138kcal

Protein 4.6g
Carbohydrate 25g
- of which sugars 11g
Fat 2.1
- of which saturates 0.3g
Fibre 0.9g
Sodium 0.1g
Suitable for vegetarians. May contain pips and stones
.

The last 4 miles I came around the corner into a head wind, this is the last thing I wanted to feel after riding 16 miles. I dropped a gear and peddled that little bit harder to get home quicker out of the wind. I really enjoyed the bike session today, but I may look for a different route without so many up hills.

Not sure what training is planned for tomorrow, but im suffering with bad shins tonight and withdrawal symptoms from not cleaning the bike.

Todays session

Duration 01 29 18
Distance 20.04 miles
Calories 1365
Max HR 176BPM
Average HR 149BPM
Max Speed 36.9 MPH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Lovely Lake Laps.. Hippo Like...