First Open Water Swim - On My Birthday


Happy birthday to me, and how do I celebrate my birthday, sitting down, chilling, eating lots... no! I decided to get up at 7:30 this morning to get out for my first open water sea swim. I had the call late Sunday night to say some of the club were meeting in the morning for a swim so me being me I never turn down a chance to train.

We met at 9am sharp and we were in the water by 9:05, I managed to get my new wetsuit on with no troubles, it was a great to get get some use out of the suit that I wasn't sure I was going to get about a month ago as the supplier went bust. The sun was beaming down and it was pretty hot at that time of the morning, and getting into a black wetsuit only made me hotter, until I stepped into that water... oh my it was cold.

After letting some water down my neck by opening the top of my wetsuit it took my breathe away! I stuck my head under the water and I couldn't see a thing, but that wasnt an issue, it was the taste of teh salt water... It made me gag! I managed the first 250 meters with 3 stops, these stop were required for me to gag due to the salt water. I'm not normally one for swimming in the sea but if I want to compete I need to get over that. Im sure I will get over the taste of the water soon, I'll keep on going and im sure I get through it! Its not as bad as Marmite! :)

As this was my first session in the open water I was happy with my stroke considering I was concentrating on my breathing but I definitely got tired quicker, but for a starter I was happy. I was also concentrating on my sighting which I thought was pretty good, although some of the others in the group may need some work as one of the group bumped into me twice! :)

On the bad side, I have got a nasty rash on my neck from the wet suit.. I'll have to put my rash vest on for a training swim next time and Vaseline for race day.

Todays session

Duration 01 30 00
Distance 1250 meters

Comments

  1. happy (belated) birthday. Good job on your open water swim... and no, nothing's as bad as marmite!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Lovely Lake Laps.. Hippo Like...