Swansea Mumbles Sprint Triathlon


This was a VERY early start for me, a 05:30 meet in Swansea to get prepared and in the zone ready to race. It had rained all week and I had a feeling it wasn't going to give up on Saturday for the race.

On the drive down to the race the heavens opened and a  down poor happened, I though oh my this is going to be one of those days, the sea looked aggressive as the skies. When I pulled up and parked the car I waited for a window for the rain to stop and out I got. Well that was the last of the rain for the race and I was very happy.

I decided that I was going to do the super sprint which was 750m swim, 21km bike and a 3km run. The swim was the same distance as the long course so just the bike and run were shorter.

I think my swimming is getting better and better each time I get into the water, which I am really happy about. The route for the swim was simple around 2 buoys and back home. It was a very tight channel for the swim so I got a few kicks and arms in the face but im sure I gave as good as I got. The water didn't taste to great but my breathing is getting better to so I took less water in at this event, maybe at the next one it will be less again?

On getting out the sea and making my way to the transition I knew this change wasn't going to be easy, as I found it hard finding the cord for the suit once I managed to grab I I got the suit off and there was no stopping me, helmet and light glass on, cycle shoes and unhooked the bike and off I went and 30 yards down the transition I clicked I forgot my race belt with my number on, so I turned back which cost me time, maybe one day I'll get a perfect transition in a race.



I really enjoyed the bike and found the hills on the race not so bad, I found my rhythm relatively easy in the race, and even though it was only 21km I really enjoyed it. One thing I didn't enjoy though was taking a tumble on entering transition on my bike discount. I dismounted with momentum and when I tried to trot on with my bike shoes on I lost traction and took a tumble and took the bike with me... I even got an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh from the crowd, I didn't hurt and I'm not cut just a little road rash... I'll survive and I did have a giggle at the crowds response. I just carried on and racked my bike and changed my shoes and off I set for the run. 

The run was relatively simple and I didn't much "Jelly legs" from the bike so I must be getting use to the change from my brick sessions I've been doing. I finished the race with a nice paced run and at the finish line there was a nice bottle of water and a camera man waiting for me! The results came out pretty quick and I was VERY happy with my finishing place..

I couldn't believe it... 91 people raced and I came 16th...

I loved the race and I will definitely do this race again.

Todays session

Duration 01 20 36
Distance 750m swim, 21km bike, 3km run

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31 - The End Of Janothon, The Start Of Something Else...

Day 21 - I Love Rest Runs But, I Hate Chavs

Ironman Wales 2016 - Race Report